Monday, January 22, 2007

archives

a conversation with a friend the other night led me deep into the rebekah musical archives. anyone remember this song? it is still a favorite of mine. a sincere "thank you" goes to sandra mccracken for that night in february (i might be mistaken but i think it was on my 20th birthday), when i ran into her and derek in the IWU makeup room before FNL. I stood humbled, broken, and said thank you for her song "plenty." less than an hour later, a piano was on stage, i sat, knees to my chest, dripping with tears on the front row as she sang those very words that could just have well been mine. i will always remember that night. it wasn't until later that i heard "sunday morning" -- a song of hers that would impact me more than the first.


Sunday Morning
Driving on the faded mid-western dotted line
with nothing but the fighting wind
to slowly count the time
racing with the fences as they guard their farms
here I come, there I go,
help me lay down my arms
Just as I am, you rush in without a warning
I didn`t think that you would want to come to this place
and make it feel like a sunday morning.
I have been a blacksmith with the tools in my hands
with plastered eyes I build the lie and cannot understand
feeding on the ashes of a deluded heart
but in the place of dust and death
I see you have come this far
And just as I am...
You were the first, and you`ll be the last
and like a cloud on the Chicago skyline
these things are past
Maybe it`s the way your love swells beneath my skin
or maybe it`s because my senses are full again
maybe it`s because I can`t quite mark the source
or maybe I`m afraid to let it run it`s course...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

In You're love I find release A haven from my unbelief Take my life and let me be A living prayer my God to Thee